Thursday, March 06, 2008

Hot Water Anyone?

From 36 hours to 3.6 minutes.
The hot water tank and stove are run on butane gas. You have to get the tank from a shop down the street. Drag it home. Hook it up. And then light the pilot light for the hot water tank. The stove you light each time you use an element.
A cousin of my friend Isabel showed my how to do this when I first arrived in Nazare. It took me three months to burn through that first tank. In February I had to do the first switch. Unhooking the tank was really easy. Hooking it back up proved to be more problematic. Although I thought I was paying attention to the steps when I first saw them when I tried to repeat them I could not get the gas to flow. I could not figure out how to get the hose attachment secured to the tank. I kept trying over and over again, but I was doing the same steps. So I kept getting the same result. No flame.
After a few hours of this I thought I would get my dictionary out and ask my neighbour for help. My neighbour is a tough old lady. I can hear her yelling at her kids, grandkids, neighbourhood dogs, and neighbours through the walls. She runs a tight ship. I figured she would be able to help me out. I went and knocked on her door with my little Portuguese phrase book. She couldn’t understand a thing that I was saying. She just kept smiling and nodding. I motioned for her to come with me. Then showed her the tank and the hose. AH…. She says. Then she shook her head. No No she says and taps her chest. My Yuri. Then she smiled and walked away. She wasn’t going to be any help.
I decided to leave it unhooked. I figured if I went for a walk, and got a pizza I could look at it with fresh eyes. It took until the next morning for me to realize what I had been doing wrong. All I had to do was turn the lever on the hose the other direction. Thirty-six hours to realize this. I relit the pilot light on the hot water tank and took a shower to celebrate. I had started to smell worse than Kootenay.
Last week I ran out of gas again. This time I managed to unhook the empty tank, hook up the new full one, and relight the hot water heater in under 4 minutes. This old dog learned a new trick

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you getting the gas to work. You needed your dad to be a pipefitter instead of an electrician.
Am enjoying your blog. I'm not sure yet if it sounds like a great adventure or absolutely terrifying.
Have fun.

Anonymous said...

Glad you figured out the gas tank thing so your freeloading guests can take long, hot, hot, hot showers when they arrive in about...oh...10...11 days or so.

rO has some experience with those beasts, being from Mexico (also on the gas tank system). so now I can leave it up to the 2 of you to keep me up to my eyeballs in steaming agua

Anonymous said...

Glad you figured out the gas tank thing so your freeloading guests can take long, hot, hot, hot showers when they arrive in about...oh...10...11 days or so.

rO has some experience with those beasts, being from Mexico (also on the gas tank system). so now I can leave it up to the 2 of you to keep me up to my eyeballs in steaming agua