Friday, April 04, 2008

Road to Sevilla

I am finding myself really torn. Until recently I have always believed that I was a city girl. Yet here I am in rural Portugal and I love the silence. I love the smell of the flowers and I love the sound of the birds. It is beautiful. They have combined rosebushes with rosemary. When I walked up to reception the smell of the roses and rosemary reminded me that I was breathing.

I sit here and watch the new wind turbines rotate, and the solar panels soak up the heat and wonder why I ever believed that the city was the place to be. I guess I will want to be back in the city when I run out of my favorite shampoo or perfume, but right now shopping is the only thing that I miss about the city. It helps that I am staying in a nice hotel with a pool and a beautiful deck. Kootenay could not be happier. She has her summer hair on and is prancing about the property as if she is the queen. The owners of the place are treating her like she is a queen and that is just feeding her ego. They even let her swim in the pool. That is where my feet are soaking right now. Ahhhh.

Driving here was great. I love to drive fast and listen to loud music. While we were on our way here I stopped at a truck stop to get some food, water and walk K. Then I was back in to car heading south to Tavira and Di and Roberto. When I started the car and rolled down the windows I realized that I had the stereo really loud. I was playing a cd of rap song covers by alt-rock / alt-country bands. The four guys getting into the BMW with blacked out windows parked next to me stopped and stared. The sight of a white woman getting into a grey four door fiat with a giant white dog listening to what at first listen seemed like a nice average song only to hear the lyrics from an NWA being harmonized to was too much for them. They all took very long looks at K and I trying to fit us into their understanding of the world. We were obviously entertaining because they caught up to us on the highway and unrolled their windows to wave to us as they zoomed past us.

No comments: