Sunday, September 19, 2010

Breakfast

My first breakfast in Egypt.

It happens at the ungodly hour of 6am. I hate mornings, but after a
few days here I will come to see the common sense behind starting your
day this early. For now the breakfast buffet will be my solace.

My introduction to Egyptian food starts with black tea. Here, they add
mint to the hot water and then brew the black tea. Awesome!

The hotel we are at must cater to both western and eastern travellers.
The breakfast buffet has a crepe bar and an egg man making any
omlette, over easy, or fried egg thing you can dream up right next to
a felafel maker with fresh hummus. There's also a bean, tomato and
onion spread with pita that people are digging in to, but this seems a
little too heavy for me for the first day.

The baking deserves a special mention. The breads are sweet and
fluffy. Buns are fresh, some are covered in granulated sugar and some
are stuffed with a fig paste or chocolate. So good.

And if you want a little honey on your toast or in your tea there is
always this: www.adogabroadayear.wordpress.com

No comments: