Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Get Out Of My Way

It was sweet.

Their arms were linked together. He was wearing slippers. She was wearing a homemade cardigan, which looked out of place in the 23 degree weather. If you stacked them on top of each other they would barely break seven feet tall.

They were headed to the bus stop.

They were headed very slowly to the bus stop. On the way they slowed down, folded and unfolded a sheet, conferred with each other and sped up their shuffle.

Speed… well I guess I can use that word.

It would have been cute, if they weren't between me and my bus. Knocking them down and leaping over their prone bodies would be the only way I would make the bus. But then I would be the bad guy.

Again they stopped and pulled out their sheet of paper.

Oh. Dear. God.

I gave up any hope of making my connection.

- Can I help you?

-Yes. Yes. Please. Help. Need bus. They pointed to a number on their sheet.

I tried not to sigh out loud. They were looking for my bus. The bus that had just pulled away.

- Just follow me. I smiled and motioned to them.

- Yes. Yes. We follow.

I slowed my steps to match their shuffle. We had ten minutes to cover the forty feet to our destination. I liked our chances.

At least with them following me my desire to yell GET OUT OF MY WAY has subsided.

--
treena and kootenay
adogabroadayear.wordpress.com

No comments: