Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Vignette One

-Ding. Dong.

-Hello I say opening my apartment door to two young men in black suits. Each of them is wearing a small telltale name tag on their left lapels.

-Sister Treena? It's so nice to meet you. Your aunt asked us to visit.

-Hello boys. This would be my auntie Jennie I suppose.

-Why yes.

One replies. But for the fact that only one mouth moves, the two faces are indistinguishable from each other. One could be the other. Although, they are identically unique within our age group. Clear skinned, bright eyed, and joyfully free of any stimulants, these are nice young men.

I can't resist young men on their missions. Our world views are the antithesis of each others. But, it feels like home to have them at my table talking about hockey, books, travel and God. They avoid saying I'm a hell-bound heathen and I avoid saying they are naive and superstitious. For an hour we chat. I drink tea and they sip Ovaltine. I mentioned they are stimulant free didn't I? Then it comes...

-Sister Rivard mentioned, that with the temple so far away, you are finding it difficult to make sunday services.

-She did huh. Distance.

We smile at each other. No hard feelings. They had to ask.

--------------

This friday afternoon she will finally get me to temple. I hope there is no lightening around. A thunderbolt from the sky might challenge my current state of atheism. Although it would be a neat trick and my hat would be off to you Jennie.

www.adogabroadayear.wordpress.com

No comments: