Friday, January 18, 2008

Moving...

My dog changed my life. Before she came into my life I lived a nice, quiet, safe life. I had a good job. It was not my passion, but it paid a living wage and had health benefits. I bought a safe fixer up style of apartment in a nice neighbourhoood and fixed it up. I was average and glad of it. While my friends went about marrying, breaking up, and living overseas I was happy to offer them a bed when they needed it and live my quiet life.

Then came Kootenay. Soon after she came into my home the people in my building decided that she was too big to live in our building and offered me a choice. Either I had to get rid of her or move out of the building. This was a difficult time. I had made friends with many of the people in the building and then had to choose between this dog I had just adopted and the security and friendship of the people in the building I had been living in for four years. I chose the dog. It was my first moment of madness. I am not sure I would have been able to make that choice had my sister not been around. She, in her ever practical and capable way, made the choice of moving because of my new dog an easy one. “Of course you’ll move,” she said. As if selling the home I had lived in for four years for a dog I had for only four weeks was the most normal choice in the world.

So with her help and the support of all my family and friends I put my put my house up for sale and planned a future in a new neighbourhood with my new pet.

Luckily I have a friend who knows almost all of Vancouver. Michael introduced me to Tim, who took on selling my place. It was not an easy task. The strata minutes were messy. We, the building residents, had started down a path of unkindness to each other that would be hard to stop. Neighbour picking on neighbour is a difficult thing when you live in such close quarters and like all negative emotions, once you start focusing on the negative it becomes difficult to stop. As sad as I was at losing the friends I had made in the building moving was the right choice. If a dog could cause so many people to be so unhappy it was better to not live there.

So, I sold the place and started looking for a new one. This time I would have a better idea how to read strata minutes and making sure my dog was welcome would be the top concern.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

greetings from montreal. you must be back on your adventures, glad to see it. sorry we didn't talk over the holiday, i was crazy tired. work is nutty, expect it to be like that until end of feburary and then things will improve. we are thinking of getting a dog soon....hope he/she is just like k.

Anonymous said...

Hi from Trail. Glad to hear you got to be with the family at Christmas. I think your Dad was right & it would have been hard for all of you. Still happy at taking the big leap? Have you got an email address yet? I guess your Dad would know & I think we might be doing lunch this week. Have a great time & keep updating the blog.