Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Happy Accidents - Good Food and Great Wine

The best part of travelling is the happy accident, that moment when everything seems to be going wrong, you surrender your control and end up not where you were going, but where you are meant to be. I had one such accident in St. Paul de Vence.

I was on my way from Nice to St. Paul de Vence to meet a work buddy's partner. Unfortunately a rude bus driver, a local trying to scam a free ride, and windy road combined to make me late. I missed my date with Andre.

To drown my sorrows I turned to wine and food. Ahhh. The French life.

I settled down to eat lunch feeling a bit sorry for myself. Luckily I was surrounded by family.


le Vieux Moulin

We sat down in le Vieux Moulin and proceeded to have the best lunch of our month-long trip.


Daube de Boeuf à la Provençale et Polenta crémeuse

The kids and Dad played it safe and ordered hamburgers. These hamburgers didn't come with french fries though. Ironic eh, given we were in France. Instead the accompanying dish was polenta. Two travellers, a few tables away, with a distinctive American accent, complained about the polenta. I didn't actually hear them say freedom fries, but…


Daube de Boeuf à la Provençale et Polenta crémeuse

My sister and I went for the seafood risotto. If I can ever cook rice this well I will die a happy person.


Risotto aux Scampis et calamars, Persillade

The waiter convinced us to have a bottle of rose wine with our lunch. I was a rose snob until that moment. I had never met a rose worth drinking. Now I can't wait for the summer weather here in Vancouver so I have a good reason to try out new ones. If you ever run into a bottle of Rimauresq Cru Classé AOC Côtes de Provence. Buy it and give me a call. I've been practicing my risotto recipes.

So I missed my friend, but ended up eating in this charming place.


Bathroom Stairs

It is an old converted olive press building. Now full of charm. I mean even the stairs to the bathroom are charming. May you have many such happy accidents on your travels.

This post is part of WanderFood Wednesday, a weekly blogging event featuring food from around the world. See more food posts and learn more at host Wanderlust and Lipstick's WanderFood page.

for the links and images that accompany this post please see www.adogabroadayear.wordpress.com

No comments: