Monday, June 06, 2011

Overheard on the Bus - 2

-yeah. summer courses 'cause then I can be done earlier.

-me too. good thing my dad can help me with tuition. I didn't really want to cash in my investments right now.

-why? tax implications.

-no. some of them lost value during the crash. I've reinvested, but they aren't where I'd like them to be.

-what did you invest in?

-I'm not sure. My dad's guy did it for me.

-I handle my own portfolio. I get some help from my dad, but mostly I make the calls. You should totally look at arms companies and private security firms. My earnings have gone through the roof.

-don't you feel a bit dirty with all that.

-hell no. It was great to see Egypt in trouble this year. Israel freaked out and my stocks soared. And man is Gaddafi good for business. Between that and the whole war thing, by the time I graduation I will have enough cash for a down-payment on a house.

-I'm not sure I could do that. You know. It seems a bit icky.

-are you kidding get in now man. With Greece the way it is, and Spain in so much trouble it's just a matter of time before people start freaking out more. You should put some cash in gold as well.

-Well...

-no really. I'll hook you up with my advisor if you want. After all we're business majors. We need to know how to make money.

-I know, but it just seems weird to be betting on chaos.

-what are you talking about, weird? Somebody going to be making money off it. It might as well be me.
--------------------

These girls hopped on the bus wearing their lulu yoga pants and Canucks jerseys, with their hair up in pony-tails, and freshly scrubbed faces. Then proceeded to casually chat about making money off of global unrest.

And people say today's youth aren't engaged in current events.

No comments: