Wednesday, March 10, 2010

The Bathroom

I designed my dream bathroom today while I sat at our woefully underappreciated booth at the UBC Consumption fair. It seemed very few people were interested in the glamorous recycled products we brought. Luckily this gave me lots of time to dream.

It has slate 2X2 tiles on the floor and walls. The shower is a walk-in stall that has a rainfall head. It's a nice big head that showers down on you with a ton of pressure. My current shower has such low water pressure that asking the cream rinse to leave the strands of my hair would be as effective as the spout some days. The shower stall will have a bench and a steam set up as well, I believe. There's nothing like a eucalyptus steam to clean out the nasal passages.

And the tub, how beautiful it will be. Claw foot, with a white enamel finish inside and a Chinese lacquer red outside and it will be deep enough to drown in. None of this shallow can't even get the top of my knees wet crap I have right now. Nope there will be depth and there will be bubbles. A rack will lie across the top. I might put a candle in the rack when I have the night time bath.

Have I mentioned the in floor radiant heat? When I get out of the tub the floor will be warm. And the towel will come off the heated rack all toasty and absorbent, and they will smell of sunshine (the housekeeper will often air my laundry on a line in the sun). She will be a bit crusty, but loveable. This will be handy, because I often absorb people into my life so she will set boundaries for the both of us.

This will be my master en-suite, so I don't envision a door as being necessary. There won't be casual party-goers going it this space. If they end up here it will be by invitation only, and that is another reason for the big deep tub. Hehehe.

The sinks will be bowls that are set on a solid black abutment and the taps will come out of the wall. The small tiled ledge above the taps can hold the incidentals.

The toilet stall will be behind a small pony wall. It will be shaped in much the same way as the shower, but with softer lighting, and maybe a way to play a little music. You know, for the moments when you need a little extra distraction. Oh, and there will be a small trash bin there, with a bag liner in it. I was lectured by a boy one time because the garbage pail in the bathroom didn't have a bag in it and he couldn't decide how to dispose of a used piece of personal protective wear. Really we just had sex and you're going to lecture me on how I line the garbage pail….

The nicest feature of this room will be the fireplace with a flat screen tv mounted above it. This will be viewable from the tub. A woman cannot live with books alone, and damn I love watching movies in the tub.

And that is it. Oh, I will have to have an upholstered chair in there. The dog likes to hang out in the bathroom when I relax in the tub. Tile floor is hard on her old bones. Now, she drags my towel off the rack and lays on it if I forget to bring her bed into the room. And there is no way she is dragging my lovely large dove grey towel down and sleeping on them. Sorry K. I love ya, but I've gotta draw some boundaries.

No comments: